Help setting up pihole bare metal installation

OK I got the adafruit kit that comes with some headers?/terminals, a case, microSD card, etc.

I put it all together, flash 2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf-lite to the microSD card but I cant seem to get it to connect to my wifi router, I have 5G and 2G enabled on the router(if that matters? came that way out of the box), the gateway is an ARRIS TG1682G if that makes any difference....

I've got the ssh file loaded in the "BOOT" partition I assume? When I insert the SD card into my reader, it pops up 2 "drives" but the other one won't let me "access" unless it's "formatted" lol and I know this is a bad thing lol since it's already "flashed" with balenaEtcher.

Also loaded in the wpa_supplicant.conf file using the formatting here Text File Editing | Raspberry Pi Zero Headless Quick Start | Adafruit Learning System

But the pi doesn't seem to ever appear in my router's "client list"

Could there be a setting on my gateway that is blocking the pihole from connecting?

If you mean the DHCP client list on the router, the Pi-hole host isn't suppose to invoke DHCP but should have been configured with a static IP after running the Pi-hole installer so this is expected.
Is something not working ?

Try test from a client PC in a command prompt (Windows, MacOS or Linux) with below replacing <PI_HOLE_IP_ADDRESS> with actual IP:

nslookup pi.hole <PI_HOLE_IP_ADDRESS>

i figured it out....lol apparantly the zero i ordered was the regular zero and didnt havewifi...so the kit came with a usb adapter to connect an old wifi dongle into,andits now working lol.

solved

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.