Unable to use unbound as upstream DNS server

I was looking at the article "Pi-hole as All-Around DNS Solution" Redirecting... and was wondering if it would work with the beta testing of FTLDNS?

Indeed it does. We're close to a release in any case.

I went though the install of unbound which worked perfectly, but when I configure PiHole I cannot specify the Custom #1 (IPV4) , I cannot specify 127.0.0.1#5353, I can only put 127.0.0.1.
With that setup when it tries to query a dns name it comes back with invalid site.
I did the "pihole -a -d" but it was not able to upload the results.

Any suggestions on how to get the #5353 would be appreciated. I believe that is the issue it is currently having since the test that are done during the setting it up work correctly.

When was the last time you updated? You may be on an old version of the beta.

pi@HornDNS:~ $ sudo pihole -up
[i] Checking for updates...
[i] Pi-hole Core: up to date
[i] Web Interface: up to date
[i] FTL: up to date

[✓] Everything is up to date!

From /var/log/pihole_debug-sanitized.log
*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Core version
[i] Core: v3.3.1 (How do I update Pi-hole?)
[i] Branch: FTLDNS (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/the-pihole-command-with-exa$
[i] Commit: v3.3.1-369-g169a428

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Web version
[i] Web: v3.3 (How do I update Pi-hole?)
[i] Branch: master
[i] Commit: v3.3-5-ge1dc4272

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: FTL version
[✓] FTL: vDev-3e40158 (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how-do-i-update-pi-hole/$

Try uploading the debug log to a pastebin site manually, if it does not automatically upload.

Edit: you must be on the FTLDNS branch of web if you want to have the updated web interface.

If you would like to jump to the Release 4.0 branch (all the FTLDNS features and more), this is the most recent version the devs are working on, getting close to final release. This will run unbound as well.

echo release/v4.0 | sudo tee /etc/pihole/ftlbranch 
pihole checkout core release/v4.0 
pihole checkout web release/v4.0

Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3.1-369-g169a428) Web Interface Version v3.3 FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-3e40158)

I have noticed that the "Recent Queries" screen does not look the same as what is in the picture on Help Us Beta Test FTLDNS – Pi-hole, and do not know if it matters but I am also running the speedtest "plugin" which again I do not know if this is what is causing the issue.

You are not on the FTLDNS version of the web interface.

So it seems since I used https://blog.arevindh.com/2017/07/13/add-speedtest-to-pihole-webui/ to add speedtest to PiHole, this is causing my issue.
I was wondering if I edited the /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf and set PIHOLE_DNS_1=127.0.0.1#5353, would this cause any issues that would negatively affect PiHole execution?

If I recall back when I was having the identical problem you are having, the only solution that worked for me was to move to FTLDNS beta. Since you aren't quite there yet (still on Web master), you either need to get there completely (pihole checkout web FTLDNS) or just jump to the 4.0 branch.

1 Like

I've tried the pihole checkout web FTLDNS and only getting:

[✓] Fetching branches from https://github.com/pi-hole/AdminLTE.git
[i] 30 branches available for Web Admin

[i] Requested branch "FTLDNS" is not available
[i] Available branches for Web Admin are:

I recommend getting on the master again - it now has all the FTLDNS features you need (as of a few hours ago).

pihole checkout master

1 Like

I've done the checkout of the master but it still not updating the web interface:
Pi-hole Version v4.0 Web Interface Version v3.3 (Update available!) FTL Version v4.0

I know clicking "Update available" goes to Releases · pi-hole/AdminLTE · GitHub, but not sure how to get that "module" updated.

Please post that part of your debug log that shows the version, branch and commits where you are now. Thanks.

Run these commands:

cd /var/www/html/admin
git reset --hard HEAD
git checkout master
git pull
2 Likes

Thank you everyone for helping. I was able to reset pihole and was able to setup the custom 1:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.