Storing the web admin password in MacOS Safari

Has anyone done this recently on macOS in the context of secure passwords in Safari?

I am going through the list trying to remove old sites I don't use anymore and upgrade those that are now considered insecure. I suspect it will require using Keychain Access to create a string and pasting it at this prompt. However, Autofill is making things difficult and I suspect pasting in the old password instead.

(Typing, typing, and more typing...)

Yep, that is exactly what seems to be happening. I paste in my custom string and it gets rejected, even though it has a new entry in Keychain.

Any suggestions on how I can make this work?

I don't think I fully understand the problem you are seeing.

You have a password for the web admin interface stored in the Safari keychain? Safaris isn't using this password?

Ok, allow me to elaborate.

I'm effectively starting from scratch if that helps to understand where things stand.

I have no entry for pi.hole in the Password tab of the Safari preferences. However, there is one in the Keychain application. Although it is possible to manually add entries to Safari, pasting the values out of Keychain does not work - the UI to save changes is disabled.

Now, I realize that the "correct" way to do this is via the pihole command - e.g, pihole -a -p secretpassword, but short of manually copying these values around, is there a better way to make sure that the following occurs:

1. The new password creates a Keychain item
  2. Safari's preferences for pi.hole show this new password
  3. When I navigate to the web interface, I am prompted to enter this password.

Alternatively, is it possible to implement the .well-known/change-password spec?

I realize this is fairly new, but it would go a long way to mitigate this issue, even if it doesn't occur frequently.

After more testing, the procedure I described does in fact work. The spec I mentioned is interesting to me, but I realize might be difficult to integrate as everyone's setup could be slightly different.

Thoughts?

This appears to be a one-off situation with your Safari setup. I have Pi-hole running and have not had any difficulty accessing the web admin interface with Safari with the password saved in the keychain. I suspect one of your Safari settings is different than mine.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.