Staying ahead of the “anti-blockers” ... medium.com

Hi,

I seem to be having problems with medium.com...

This is a WAG as to what might be happening..

Their app and site seem to be detecting and redirecting internally app-measurement.com

The method seems to be documented on this web site also using possibly the same method....

I am getting to the point of not bothering with medium.com because of this....

Thoughts...

Thanks to the developers;-)

Frank

P.S. is this the beginning of a M.A.D. DNS arms race?

As more and more ad blockers are coming up (as mentioned in the article you linked >~ 30%) we will surely be faced with issues when ad providers start to recognize how to circumvent the current ways of content blocking. I can think of a few ways how I'd do it myself if I'd run my own webpage where I would want to host ads. However, I won't display them here to not assist the ad provider that is potentially following the ad blocker platforms :wink:

1 Like

And in those cases, I just won't visit the site again and I'm sure others would do the same. If you actively attempt to subvert the blocking with behaviors like the article suggests then I will not be rewarding the site with my views.

4 Likes

At some point all this advertise business model will collapse. Not sure when, but it will.
It sucks "revenue" from advertised brands for nothing, the website visitors that are harassed with 100's of ads will not suddenly decide "I like this harassment, I wasn't interested but now I will buy that advertised crap".
Especially if they run an ad-blocker, they already are aggravated enough. By forcing them to unblock yous site in order to visit it it just enhances that aggravation and, personally, because of that, I even avoid the advertised brands.

2 Likes