Simple speedtest added to Pihole Web UI , Takes tests every hour

Thanks for Awesome mod!!:sunglasses:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but one of the attributes I appreciate about Pi-Hole, is that is is purpose-built, without the superfluous bells-and-whistles. DNS and blacklisting is its core competency, and it does a bang-up, stable job at that.

I guess I go by the old adage "using the right tools for the job"; offloading to dedicated hardware/software (I use Pi-Hole instead of DNSBL on my dedicated firewalls).

That said, I simply use my TI(C|G)K Stack env., and setup dedicated probes & dashboards for monitoring everything...

6 Likes

For some reason your API (getSpeedData24hrs&PHP) does not work very well for me and if i try to curl it (curl 'http://localhost/admin/api.php?getSpeedData24hrs\&PHP') on my rpi I only get

How to use your API?

Does anyone know if this works with the new FTL interface?

I could not test it yet but is should work out fine :sunglasses:

So if I run the pihole -a -sn it add's an entry to the speedtest dB, but since installing I have lost access to the settings page, getting error 500, going to try and revert it now and see if it starts working again.

1 Like

That was fun,

Had to reset my GIT, and then force merge the FTL to get everything working again, time to take a backup I think

1 Like

Same issue as @XcOM. Has a ton of merge conflicts and breaks the settings page.

Pi-hole Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.3-181-ga7e7680) Web Interface Version vDev (FTLDNS, v3.2.1-195-g4355bde2-dirty) FTL Version vDev (FTLDNS, vDev-5ecab0a)

could you give me a hint on how to reset/remove it without traces?

Instructions are here pihole-speedtest/README.md at master Β· arevindh/pihole-speedtest Β· GitHub

1 Like

Can this just get added to the main Pi-Hole code already? I don't think it is too out of scope (the Pi-Hole UI is already stats-heavy) and I find this addon complements the software nicely. It's not gonna grow (what else will you do with a speed test), and has relevance (think DNS resolution time). It's also just bloody useful. I get that it might be inaccurate above 100mbps (some have said above 60) but that is a limitation of speedtest itself. Also, plenty people in the world (think "3rd world" have speeds way lower than 100 or even 60. I for one am lucky if i get 10mbps on a good day. As someone else mentioned on this forum, it can be disabled by default (like the DHCP server, which I do not use). Making it part of the build will eliminate all the problems people encounter when upgrading modded builds. Just doo eet, listen to the people. Make a poll or something.

1 Like

No. This is a fairly meaningless test, showing the speed of the specific device only. And it is completely outside the scope of Pi-hole, which is a domain based blocker, not a network management tool.

2 Likes