Pi-hole showing only local client, not filtering for remote clients

Hmmm, this is what I have set all along...

and the advanced settings are all unchecked i.e. my web ui looks the same.

BUT:

I have my PI on wifi, so if it really only listens on eth0 (contrary to what it says in the web ui) that would explain things? If so, what should I write instead of eth0?

Run below one and select reconfigure to configure interface etc:

pihole -r

Hmmm. During that reconfiguration it never asks for an interface and after it completes, I no longer have a line

/etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf:interface

(this is a PI zero W which only has wifi)

Yeah I believe only if multiple interfaces are available, you get to choose with pihole -r.

You didnt had that line when you started initialy anyway :smiley:
Clueless again :wink:

Me too.

So just for the record, not having that interface line now in 01-pihole.conf still doesn't make it trigger when I dig from another host.

If you have a "interface=" line, you close the system down to permit only listening on that particular interface.
If you leave out that line, dnsmasq should listen to all interfaces ... I believe.

Ps. all of these options are described on the man page for reference:

man dnsmasq

-i, --interface=<interface name>
          Listen only on the specified interface(s). Dnsmasq automatically adds the loopback (local) interface to the list of inter‐
          faces to use when the --interface option  is used. If no --interface or --listen-address options are given dnsmasq listens
          on all available interfaces except any given in --except-interface options. IP alias interfaces (eg  "eth1:0")  cannot  be
          used  with  --interface  or  --except-interface  options, use --listen-address instead. A simple wildcard, consisting of a
          trailing '*', can be used in --interface and --except-interface options.

Ok, I finally figured it out. Turns out the PI was not on the Fritzbox wifi, but on a secondary Asus RT-AC58U wifi. This box had its DNS server manually set to the Fritzbox. So even if the test VM I ran dig on is on Ethernet via the Fritzbox, the Asus box somehow interfered :frowning:

Setting the DNS on the ASUS box also to my PIs IP finally puts it properly into the loop.

Thanks for your support anyway and sorry for wasting everyone's time...

1 Like

Dont forget activating the tags again "never forward non...." that you removed for forwarding on the Pi-hole admin page!
And maybe close down listening behaviour again "Listen only on interface...".

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.