Just got my first Pi, PH IT IS!

Hey fellas,

I was told about this feature (Pi Hole) by several of my coworkers and they insisted it was a must. So I got the new 3b+ for my birthday (two days ago) and am very excited to get things up and rolling.

I was curious if Pi Hole is the only thing that should be running on the device? I have bots that I trade with that just got the code released for Pis but from my research it looks like the PH may be taxing enough on the SD/CPU. Its not a big deal, I want to eventually get 4-5 3b+s for various things around my apartment but being able to consolidate one or two or maybe even have backups is never a bad idea.

Also I have seen there are a TON of distros out there that work for the Pi. I am an avid Gentoo user myself but to go through all of that seems like it may be a little overkill.

2 Likes

Pi-hole can run on the old very first Raspi's that have only one 900MHz core and 256MB of RAM.
The Pi3B+ has got 4 * 1.4GHz cores and allot more RAM.
So yeah you can run some things on the side.
Just dont install a desktop or you're going to be limited again.

And a side note, I hope you dont get into too much troubles as I've read the new Pi3B+ has got some major network issues that haven't been solved yet.
This could be even hardware related so maybe not fixable by software.
Wait and see how Raspi foundation responds.
Below one of these issues:

Dang, I didnt know that but thanks for the heads up. I will dig into the 3b+ issues more and see. I may try to return it and just get the 3b (or wait? I dont know. I am actually too busy and leaving town to set it up for the next week and a half).

EDIT: some (not all) of the issues I very quickly looked over are from people trying to OC their devices. Although I am interested in doing a little OCing, I dont think its necessar.. I also have the habit of pushing my devices too hard when I mess around with the clocking so I tend to shy away.

Yeah I am reasoning the same.
If not necessary to OC, I would rather have a stable system.
I do OC my Pi2 so to run more MAME arcade games on it :wink:

1 Like