IPv6 ICMP socket created fails

DHCPv6 support doesn't seem to work on FTLDNS. Whenever I have "Enable IPv6 support (SLAAC + RA)" enabled in the DHCP tab, I get "Mar 24 20:26:46 pi-hole pihole-FTL[2910]: dnsmasq: cannot create ICMPv6 socket: Operation not permitted" when it tries to start. If I turn off "Enable IPv6 support (SLAAC + RA)" in the DHCP tab everything is fine except DHCPv6 obviously doesn't work. IPv6 support works on 3.3.

I'm getting the same error whit the ipv6

@koolkid1935 @Tntdruid I think I solved this issue now. pihole-FTL is equipped with a strong security model. In contrast to dnsmasq (which is started as user root), it is started under the entirely unprivileged user `pihole (no special permissions at all, cannot destroy your system, cannot read other user's data, etc.). We think this is a very good idea.

However, due to the different security model "bottom-up" (we explicitly grant any system capabilities individually) in comparison to dnsmasq's "top-down" (everything is permitted from the beginning) pihole-FTL simply didn't have the capability to create the mentioned ICMPv6 socket.

Please try pihole -r to get the most recent version of Pi-hole core/FTLDNS where I already fixed this.

1 Like

@DL6ER Works now, thanks for the fast fix :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like FTLDNS ignore static in dhcp-host=b8:27:eb:46:xx:xx,[2a00:76xx:xxx::1a],mynas

That worked whit dnsmasq whit IPv6 static ips

EDIT

works now removed the host from /etc/pihole/local.list

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.