Hardware requirements to set up Pi-Hole - basic basic basic

Hi. I am a total newbie, so please bear with me.

I'm very interested in using Pi-Hole as a network-wide ad blocker at home.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router and run Windows 10 on my main PC.

What are my hardware requirements to get this to work? Do I have to buy a Raspberry Pi?

If I have to buy a Pi, how do I hook it up physically to my system?

Thanks for the newbie help.

You can run it on a Pi Zero.

I recommend a Pi Zero W so that you can use the built it WiFi module.

Once you install Pi-hole on the raspberry, connect it to your Nighthawk's WiFi SSID, and use the pi zero's IP as your DNS (on your devices) and you're set.

Easy setup :slight_smile:

As for supported devices and environments, check out Installation on:

https://pi-hole.net/

This is helpful. Thanks.

So it sounds like I have to connect the Pi to the router via WiFi and keep it on at all times, correct?

Do you have any tips for how to secure that connection so someone doesn't find the Pi online and hack in behind my firewall?

Thanks again.

Yes. That is correct. The raspberry pi zero is the size of a matchbox and you can power it from a good USB charger, like a mobile phone charger that provides more than 1A.

It's extremely small footprint and extremely low power consumption. Dirt cheap too. The MicroSD card for it might cost more.

And yes, you'd have to connect it to your WiFI in order for it to resolve DNS queries using upstream DNS servers.

As for security, as long as you don't open any ports to the public from your Nighthawk pointing to the Raspberry (port forwarding), you should be fine. No one would be able to reach it from the "outside", it will stay contained within your LAN.

OK, I look forward to giving it a try. Thanks!

NO NO NO and just NO!!!

I have seen soo many issues because people want to "cheap out" by not buying the official Raspberry Pi powersupply!

PLEASE : Just buy the official adapter for the Raspberry Pi and a decent Samsung/Sandisk/Transcend/Lexar microSDHC/microSDXC card!

It's worth it! :+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

I think I bought a kit that includes the case, Pi, power supply, etc. So I should be good. Thanks!

1 Like

While I agree that a Raspberry Pi power source is recommended, you can get the same experience by using a 3-rd party power supply as long as it provides enough "juice".

I personally have a good experience with non Raspberry Pi power supplies. I’m running 4 Raspberry Pi devices all powered from a non Raspberry Pi recommended power supply (granted, it's an 8Amp USB power source) .
You do have to to use a 2A power supply (per Raspberry) if you use the GPIO for powering peripherals (sensors, LEDs etc.) or if you plan to connect a pi camera to it.

It is in the end, the users choice with what he/she uses to power the pi.

Again, if it is a low amperage power supply the pi will experience sub-par performance.

As fo the SD card, I agree.
A well established MicroSd will outperform any nameless ones that are out there.

It's not that simple!

For example : A Qualcomm QC charger can supply enough power but the Raspberry Pi doesn't "speak" the QC protocol so the charger is useless for it :wink:

I have seen a lot of 3rd party charger issues which could have been solved with simply buying the original charger for let's say 12,50 USD or so...

1 Like

Don't forget another very important piece of equipment, the cord/cable. If you buy a modular power supply but use a cheap USB cable that is just aluminium foil and has a very high voltage drop then it doesn't matter how beefy the supply is, it will never get to the SBC.

Thanks to all for the good tips. I actually purchased a RPi kit that includes the charger, so I'm pretty sure I'll be all set.

I'm running my Pi with a cheap 0.7A power adapter and it working good, of course no HDMI or keyboard or mouse, just Ethernet only. :sweat_smile:

That’s really at the lower exteme end of the requirements. If you ever need to start using the GPIO pins and/or even add an USB mouse or keyboard, you’ll need an upgrade from that phone charger you use :slight_smile:

Easier and cheaper: Download virtualbox and install pi-hole on a Ubuntu Server Virtual machine. Took me 30 minutes and it is working. Only downside: you need a device that is continuously powered on.

Thanks. Already bought rp.

A post was split to a new topic: Help setting up pihole bare metal installation