Bandwidth savings (by blocked queries)

At present you just present stats on the number of queries allowed / blocked, have you thought about recording the data which has been blocked and add that in the dashboard?

Do you mean displaying the ad that was blocked?

Oh no i was thinking about the stats data wise, as in MB like what adguard did but i read elsewhere on your forum that idea was suggested and it wasn't really possible without partially downloading some data from the target website which kind of defeats the point of blocking malicious sites such as malware sites if were still connecting and downloading something from it.

It would be cool, but only if it was safe to do so. Its more of a a management thing, you know how people like to see pretty charts of what was saved rather than just X blocked.

Ahh yes. I've discussed my idea for this in a few other places; it boils down to using the Content-Length from the HTTP headers to calculate the bandwidth saved without actually downloading the ad. You would probably need to account for downloading the headers as well.

IP headers can be 20-60Bytes, IIRC, so the actual bandwidth savings may be a bit fuzzy, but it would be less than actually downloading the ad to see how big it is.

If it was possible to get a semi-acurate idea of what was blocked perhaps that would be enough? It could be set as an on/off option so people can choose what is recorded and displayed ?

Yeah, I've long had this idea, but I think it's probably out of scope at the moment--but closer then some of the other requests out there.

this sounds like a fun addition -- even if it was 'ballpark' it would be nice to have this kind of information available.

1 Like